Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Colour Me Red - HB Mix
2.0, Really Nice Mix Simon. Nice cohesion, balance and flow. Adding to Roy's comments the snare's maybe a little hot and "pokey" at different stages throughout. Seems to be a little too attacking at different times and sitting nicely at others. Most noticeable at lower volumes.
Just a minor nitpick, Well Done on a great mixBig Grin

Dave
(05-11-2016, 02:17 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Hey, this 2.0 is great work.. are you using a master buss compressor on your mix buss? From what I hear on this 2.0 a MBC hitting light at a 2 ratio would glue this together maybe giving you what your mind knows is here.. also, have you considered using Waves NLS for color? That also can give you some interesting color to consider, but to my ears, the "fader" positions are all cool, from here I would only say perhaps what your ears are looking for is the sound "color".. ultimately for me, if I received this as a mix for a mastering session, I could work with it all the way!

Hey DDL! Thanks for your words of encouragement - really 'preciate it.Big Grin

You're spot on re MBC (and Joe said same thing). I have an SSL Bus compressor set up at 2:1 but i didn't re-dial it between 1.1 and 2.0. 2.0 is slightly less hot on the mix bus and as a result the needle isn't moving so is one of the things on my list for 2.1

re Waves NLS.... i haven't used but I do use Slate Virtual Mixbuss/Channel, which appears to be a similar type plug-in on face value - I'm a big "color" fan when it comes to mixes....a bit here and a bit there can go a long way

Cheers, Simon

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(05-11-2016, 02:31 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: One minor thing that jumps out at me is the snare hits are inconsistent. I don't know if there's a gate or expander happening or what but there are times when the snare has hard, cracking hits and other times when it drops out.

Hey Roy, thanks for listening man and for your comments. I have an SSL channel compressor riding the snare and an SSL bus compressor shaving the drum bus...I'll dive in and see whats up.....see if its doing what its suppose to be doing.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

(05-11-2016, 12:04 PM)Dangerous Wrote: 2.0, Really Nice Mix Simon. Nice cohesion, balance and flow. Adding to Roy's comments the snare's maybe a little hot and "pokey" at different stages throughout. Seems to be a little too attacking at different times and sitting nicely at others. Most noticeable at lower volumes.
Just a minor nitpick, Well Done on a great mixBig Grin

Dave

G'day Dave. Thanks for listening. Glad u enjoyed the mixBig Grin

re snare, I did a run though with just the drum bus soloed and nothing really jumped out at me so some of it may be down to masking. That said my SSL channel compressor wasn't lighting up as i would expect on the snare bus, so i may need to dial that in a smidge.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Simon

Mix 2.0 sounds great, really like the wide sound you ended up with HB. I agree with DDL and Joe, using a bit of tape saturation and a a touch more buss comp would really glue it together nicely, as a suggestion try using a 4:1 ratio on your SSL buss comp with a 10 ms attack and 100 ms release and aim for about 2.5-4 dBs of reduction, that's my usual setting when I'm using it on my master buss.

The only other thing/things I can think of is that the electric guitar in the left channel is cool sounding albeit a touch too saturated for the picked sections, the distortion is really mushing together all the piking going on there and starts to feel like white noise. I found that using a mic preamp style saturation on the verge of breakup into a cab impulse worked quite well. The backup vocals could also be lowered a touch in the mix, otherwise they sound awesome.

My comments are more nitpick rather than anything major, really this is a great sounding mix.

Great work and cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(06-11-2016, 03:09 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: re Waves NLS.... i haven't used but I do use Slate Virtual Mixbuss/Channel

Yep same type of plug
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Great mix!!! I tried to have something sounding like this, now I have a reference... congratulations.
HB - Great mix!! I really enjoyed listening to it. I agree with Petemix... you've set a darn good standard.

Really well done!!

nate!
(06-11-2016, 03:40 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Mix 2.0 sounds great, really like the wide sound you ended up with HB. I agree with DDL and Joe, using a bit of tape saturation and a a touch more buss comp would really glue it together nicely, as a suggestion try using a 4:1 ratio on your SSL buss comp with a 10 ms attack and 100 ms release and aim for about 2.5-4 dBs of reduction, that's my usual setting when I'm using it on my master buss.

The only other thing/things I can think of is that the electric guitar in the left channel is cool sounding albeit a touch too saturated for the picked sections, the distortion is really mushing together all the piking going on there and starts to feel like white noise. I found that using a mic preamp style saturation on the verge of breakup into a cab impulse worked quite well. The backup vocals could also be lowered a touch in the mix, otherwise they sound awesome.

My comments are more nitpick rather than anything major, really this is a great sounding mix.

Great work and cheers,
Dcp
Hey DCP, Thanks for your input. I'll have a look at those settings/signal chain set-up before posting 2.1.

Cheers, Simon

(07-11-2016, 07:01 PM)Petemix Wrote: Great mix!!! I tried to have something sounding like this, now I have a reference... congratulations.

hey Pete, thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed the mixBig Grin. Cheers, Simon