Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diesel13: Colour Me Red
Here's my mix. When I finished it, I found that it was too dull, so I've brighten it up a little bit. I think now it's better.

As usual, any advice for improvement will be welcomed!

.mp3    Diesel 13 - Colour Me Red.mp3 --  (Download: 7.57 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Lovely mix Juanjose,
Just some personal thoughts while having a listen switching between mono to stereo .
The vocals could be a touch more fuller in the low frequencies maybe a touch less compression ?
The bass guitar could come up a touch somewhere around 100hz area.
The panned electric guitar sounds a touch upfront in the low frequencies 200 and below and around 1 k in the side channels and sits better when listening in mono.
The ambient gang backing vocals sounds great .thinking a touch more fullness in the centre to fill up the space could sound awesome ?
Well Done
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Pretty good! One of the best so far.
Basic groove works fine.
Kick has maybe too much low energy.
I like the vox.

Maybe a matter of taste, but I feel that snare and kick has too much stereo information, for at the same time there’s many widely pannned instruments. I might try to place them to clearly in the center by making them full mono or almost mono.

Agree with THedon, bass is a bit undefined.
(31-10-2016, 08:05 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Here's my mix. When I finished it, I found that it was too dull, so I've brighten it up a little bit. I think now it's better.

As usual, any advice for improvement will be welcomed!

Γεια σου Χουάν! I just listened it and I have to say that you have done a very nice job! My only two suggestions for improvement are below:
1) Something is wrong with the lead vocals. Maybe you have too much de-essing? The shh sound a little weird and over compressed.
2) The bass guitar needs more definition. It is too heavy in the mid-low frequencies. I would try to boost 5-6 dbs on the 1kHz and 2kHz cut some 100-200Hz (2-3db?), compress it really hard with medium attack and fast reliese that's for the di bass. On the two amp channels I wouldn't change a thing just be sure the phase is correct and blend those three channels. And finally try to bus compress (3-5db max) those three channels and send to an overdrive just for a tiny colouration to the upper mid frequencies. I think those steps will help the bass to be more defined and solid.

Finally I really really loved the slap delay on the lead vocal!! Ελπίζω να ήταν χρήσιμα αυτά που σκέφτηκα φίλε μου! Καλή συνέχεια!!
Thank you guys for your advice. I've been working on your suggestions and here's the new version with (hopefully) a better sound Smile

.mp3    Diesel 13 - Colour Me Red(2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.57 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Again, those pitched resonances in the acoustic guitars are driving me mad - dig them out at their root with high-Q EQ dips (the attached screengrab might help) and you find that over powering 'G' overtone will disappear... That kick has some real sub-power!

Thumbnail(s)

Very huge improvement to my ears! Now I can hear the bass Smile. Maybe you could clean up the low frequencies of the acoustic guitars and kick a little. I think it will help the song to breathe!!
Good sound, that's it. But the kick is too dominant.
thank you again for the help!! I've tried to fix the acoustic guitars resonance and also, now the kick is less prominent in the lowest frequencies

.mp3    Diesel 13 - Colour Me Red(3).mp3 --  (Download: 7.57 MB)

mixing since April 2013
(06-11-2016, 09:58 AM)juanjose1967 Wrote: thank you again for the help!! I've tried to fix the acoustic guitars resonance and also, now the kick is less prominent in the lowest frequencies

Αυτό είναι! Now I think it's nice!! I like it a lot! Smile