Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quicksand - Olli H
I was after CCR sound.

.mp3    quicksand-2016-04-28-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 5.94 MB)

Hey Ollie, think it sounds great, really nice space around everything. The drier approach [compared to mine anyway] suits the tune really well, all the instruments, and voc, sound really good, very nicely blended. Nice to see I wasn't the only one to mute the gargling.
Thanks
I thought that the singer was just opening his voice during the solo, and the recording engineer just forgot to clean it away. Later I noticed that it was left to preview mix. So maybe I'm wrong. But anyway, I still feel that it doesn't contribute to solo anything.
great mix! no mist here... very nice coloring of the voice.
Nice mix olli.

Everything seems to be doing what it should be doing and in a place that sounds nice and balanced. Nice guitar tones.

The only really small thing is that the intro section sounds really nasally....on the phrase "really matter"....maybe needs some bottom end to warm up/balance nasal tone.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Thanks
Your right about that nasal. It's horrible. Funny how ears get customed to such a mistakes very quickly.
I just learned from "Small-studio Secrets News " -email that there's a CLA mix available of the same material. I must check everything against that also. There's not too ofter this kind of possibility...
(28-04-2016, 12:22 PM)manuke Wrote: Nice to see I wasn't the only one to mute the gargling.

I just checked CLA mix of this. There the gargling is loud and proud. So maybe it was meant to be that way. But, hey, isn't that one reason more to proudly mute it and stick to one's original vision...
(30-04-2016, 08:32 AM)Olli H Wrote:
(28-04-2016, 12:22 PM)manuke Wrote: Nice to see I wasn't the only one to mute the gargling.

I just checked CLA mix of this. There the gargling is loud and proud. So maybe it was meant to be that way. But, hey, isn't that one reason more to proudly mute it and stick to one's original vision...

lol Smile

CLA has said in interviews that he doesn't really mess with muting the tracks or re-arranging in his work. He figures it's there because it's meant to be there.

When I read between the lines, I think what he's really saying is, these guys pay me a gazillion dollars an hour to mix this, so they wouldn't waste their money sending me tracks they'd like me to mute Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(30-04-2016, 08:24 AM)Olli H Wrote: I just learned from "Small-studio Secrets News " -email that there's a CLA mix available of the same material. I must check everything against that also. There's not too ofter this kind of possibility...

Absolutely....having a major label mixer as a reference is brilliant...not necessarily to copy....but having the same raw tracks and hearing how they process and mix is such an amazing learning opportunity

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Sounds Great here olli ,I agree this is a great learning opportunity for us using a major mixers mix of the same song to analyse and learn something from.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts