Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another song from James May
Just another song I mixed. Close mic on snare had too much hi freq. content in it so I used more overhead track for snare.

.mp3    jmay.mp3 --  (Download: 7.87 MB)

Any coments on my mix ?
Hey there

Great sounding mix!

I feel the drums a little bit boomy in the kick but otherwise its a great sounding mix.

I also found that the snare had too much hi freq content so i just muted that track and worked with the overheads.
Thx for the kind words. But in which way do you think that the kick is boomy ? Do you mean that it has too much boomy stuf occuring around 150 to 400 Hz ? That stuff usually sounds boomy and cardboardy.
As you have panned guitars to left and right and as instrumentation is quite sparse in this song, the vox is now quite alone in the middle. Now if one listens in mono, guitars almost disappear.

Otherwise I think it's pretty good mix with nice balances.

Nice drum sound to my ears. Kick is not disturbing me.

Also vox sound is very good.
You know something. It is called 3 points of mix that being said it is 100L C and 100R . You must have something there. It is also good to put some percussion or backing vocals in no mans land (in between the extremes). Some best hits of all time have been mixed this way.
(26-08-2015, 02:42 PM)Obelix Wrote: You know something. It is called 3 points of mix that being said it is 100L C and 100R . You must have something there. It is also good to put some percussion or backing vocals in no mans land (in between the extremes). Some best hits of all time have been mixed this way.

Hi Obelix, I like this LCR mix, a lot
You could give a bit of depht to the slide guitar (just a bit of reverb 'cause it sound too dry compared to the drum)
imo
(sorry, a similar note to a previous mix, but that's what my ears said to me)
Wink
Nice mix, very different from mine, but that is what I like here. To see how many different ways a song can get mixed and still sound great in so many ways. Maybe some little more punch in the Kick would do fine. You have a very soft Kick drum, but on the other side it fits in your mixing style. :-)
Cheers
Peter
I really like the Vocals in this mix, very nice!!! Did you use anything special to get them like this?

Jason
Nice Spacious mix I like it,Just some thoughts while listening ,The panned electric and acoustic are sounding a touch upfront ,the strumming of the of the panned Acoustic may just needs little eq to tame the 3-8k area,Wondering if bringing down the level of the panned guitars after eqing the acoustic and also adding a mono copy of the guitars to fill up the centre would sound ?
Another Challenge the wide low energy of the Kick and snare in the side channels in the stereo overheads .

Good Job Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts