Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Dead Roses mix (new mixing technics)
Here is my mix. What do you guys think?

.mp3    Andrew Coles - Dead Roses - LUE MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 5.69 MB)

Hi ,I haven't tried this one yet .
I like your mix ,good job with the balance sounds nice, Just a some thoughts while having a listen.
The reverb on the master bus ? or individual tracks as sounds a little full in the low frequencies with the kick , vocals and snare, a touch more top end of smack the snare would sound nice personal taste onlyBig Grin.
Cheers

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(24-05-2015, 05:50 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi ,I haven't tried this one yet .
I like your mix ,good job with the balance sounds nice, Just a some thoughts while having a listen.
The reverb on the master bus ? or individual tracks as sounds a little full in the low frequencies with the kick , vocals and snare, a touch more top end of smack the snare would sound nice personal taste onlyBig Grin.
Cheers

Hi!

There is a parallel send to a spring reverb coming from the drum buss (stereo reverb). I wanted the track to be more dense and tried giving an "old school" vibe to the mix while being still a "full range" modern mix.

The highs are a little pulled back on the entire mix except vocals to give it that vintage vibe, but yes it is lacking a little high end compared to modern folk pop mixes (or it might be a little muddier).

Thanks for the comments!
I wasn't a fan of the raw kick drum stem provided, and had to do a bit of work on it. Your kick sounds a bit too woofy for me.
I like your vocal sound, but not the amount of reverb in the verses. Did you hit the de-esser hard? The girl's vocal seems to lack a little air in the top end.
Nice volume on the piano and guitars.
Nice balanced mix overall, but just a bit too 'reverby' for me.

Perry
Good mixing!I like ur vocal sound which is full of details.
(24-05-2015, 09:32 AM)Third Party Wrote: I wasn't a fan of the raw kick drum stem provided, and had to do a bit of work on it. Your kick sounds a bit too woofy for me.
I like your vocal sound, but not the amount of reverb in the verses. Did you hit the de-esser hard? The girl's vocal seems to lack a little air in the top end.
Nice volume on the piano and guitars.
Nice balanced mix overall, but just a bit too 'reverby' for me.

Perry

Thanks for the comments!

I like reverb and slap back and I think it fits this song, but to each his own. It's weird for me, your mix that you posted sounds way to dry, like if everything is not glued together.

I did not use de-essing but I did some high frequency limiting on the vocals to simulate tape and to make bring down the harshness. I usually do not like a lot of highs in my mixes (I prefer older mixes then current pop mix trends because the mixes are usually much darker).

I think that besides the mix, the drum is pretty sloppy (especially in the beginning), the girls voice NEEDS autotune, and I would have added some shakers or tambourines during chorus and claps during the vocal solo probably. The arrangement would need some tuning to get it up there.

I mixed it in under an hour at home using HD600 by the way.

Thanks for the comments!