Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skelpolu: 'Resurrection'
my mix

.mp3    Res master.mp3 --  (Download: 14.94 MB)

Hey there takka,

I've just listened to your mix and I've noticed a few things here and there:

Right of the bat, you decided to use no reverb at all. That's fine with some tracks out there, but in case of a (nearly) completely digital track, it is recommended to use some reverb to make it feel less hollow, unless it's an intended effect.
The second thing I noticed was that you took out the cymbals entirely - The track seems different this way, though (as the composer) find that the transitions seem unsaturating, unsatisfying to the listener. I wonder what the others think about that.
If I am not wrong then you used a lot of compressor on the master-bus - it's very audible and should be minimized. A compressor is, unless it's a wanted effect once again, supposed to be transparent, and that pretty much means that you're not supposed to hear the compressor out of the mix.

Aside from those notes, I did find that the balance in this mix is pretty much alright! I would prefer some more volume on the lead-synths however. Smile

Happy Mixing!
Everything I do is for purpose ,there is reverb no just not loads I think that's what you said about the last track.
Cheers feedback.compression supposed to be transparent,not in my book its not it all depends what you are looking for
as there are no rules in mixing.For you being the composer of the song you just know how you want it.
mix 2

.mp3    res mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.89 MB)

(10-05-2014, 01:53 PM)takka360 Wrote: Everything I do is for purpose ,there is reverb no just not loads I think that's what you said about the last track.
Cheers feedback.compression supposed to be transparent,not in my book its not it all depends what you are looking for
as there are no rules in mixing.For you being the composer of the song you just know how you want it.

Hi!

Takka, the customer is always right.

And Skelpolu in this case is your customer.

And that must be the first rule.

In your book! In any book!

Btw, I like yours mix! Big Grin

Google translate!
Cheers Mic.
The second mix certainly sounds more crisp, I kinda like that. Smile
Also: Mik, I do appreciate your support. However, I am not the only customer out there.
There are objective things you can criticise, but mostly, it's about subjective ideas - and we NEED more feedback, on every single mix.
If only one of us says his / her opinion on a mix, it won't change a lot, as the soundengineer has to figure out what the majority of people likes.
Cheers
Also if you are doing a mix for someone they would give you an idea of what direction they would like you to go in advance,
very wet,very dry, compressed ,not compressed etc etc.