Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stef Dam Mix
Finally -- someone who's taken active steps to even out the bass line. I wonder, though, whether you've homogenised the bass sound's level envelope a bit much in the process. It's almost a bit synthy as a result. I'm guessing that you've therefore tried to address it mostly with compression rather than EQ. Try a little notch at 73Hz pre-compressor and see if that allows you to hit the compressor a little less stiffly.

The kick is nice an meaty, possibly actually a bit too much so -- it's coming across a bit too hard-edged now for my taste, especially as the rest of the kit is much more recessed. You're effectively undermining the impression of the kit as a natural instrument by presenting such a skewed balance of it.

The vocals are nice and prominent, which is great, but I reckon you've set its level by the kick and bass, rather than the backing track, and so it's not framed particularly warmly by the mid-range instruments. There's a real argument here for having a listen to your balance without the bass and drums in order to get a handle on the vocal level. I think it'll become more obvious then that the vocal is too loud in that context (and, by extension, the bass and kick).

Messages In This Thread
Stef Dam Mix - by StefDam - 08-02-2013, 04:56 PM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by ThePhonk - 09-02-2013, 01:31 AM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by StefDam - 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by ThePhonk - 11-02-2013, 03:15 AM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by Mike Senior - 20-02-2013, 10:15 PM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by Pedaling Prince - 05-01-2014, 03:31 AM