Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaathaadi - manuke mix
Hey man, overall I like this a lot. You're defying genre conventions a little bit with the dubby-sounding kick drum, but it's cool and lends a bit of punch.

My main comment is that the reverb is washing out the "in front" elements just a little too much. Sometimes it's the vocals, sometimes the guitar, sometimes the strings (where you've chosen upfront roles for them)... it's not really distancing anything too much, but it's blurring the details a bit. I don't speak Tamil, but I'm wondering if the vocal intelligibility might be a little compromised here and there, though there's a bit too much low end weight (IMO) on the male vocal that may be contributing.

If you listen and find you agree with me, I have some suggestions. The first thing I'd try is routing the vocal (or whatever solo element is going on at the time) through and aux bus that delays the signal before it gets to the reverb aux, effectively giving the vocal a bit more pre-delay than the rest of the tracks... that alone might do the trick entirely. If that doesn't quite do it, I found that the vocal range between 1000 and 4000 was under constant attack from other instruments that needed broad automated cuts. It sounds like you heard what I'm talking about and boosted the highs on the female vocal a bit to compensate, but for my ears it's a bit too much and it's a little uncomfortable. Apart from that, a little more gain riding on the vocal is probably necessary if reverb isn't the only culprit.

One more thing... there are some painful high pitched resonances on the violas that could use a little smoothing out. IIRC I think I just notched them out.

Another great mix! Keep it up.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
Kaathaadi - manuke mix - by manuke - 09-02-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: Kaathaadi - manuke mix - by pauli - 09-02-2015, 11:18 PM
RE: Kaathaadi - manuke mix - by manuke - 10-02-2015, 05:43 AM
RE: Kaathaadi - manuke mix - by pauli - 11-02-2015, 04:43 AM
RE: Kaathaadi - manuke mix - by manuke - 11-02-2015, 05:18 AM