Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I Am First try at mixing
(04-12-2012, 03:46 AM)cowboydan Wrote: I Would love some feedback for this song. This is my first song on Sonar X2. I had a lot of fun doing the song.

Thank You

Danny

I have updated the song. Thank you for the feedback. You were right about the vocals.

Danny

This sounds like a very nice mix that some bully came along and stepped on.

Odd description, I know. This is what I mean:

Everything sounds kind of "squashed" somehow. From listening closely, I think this is due to two problems:

1. Overuse of compression. Sounds like compression was used both in the original mix and in the final mastering. First thing I'd try to remedy this is take the compression out of the mastering stage; it'll probably sound better right there. You might also pull back on compression on the individual tracks to let the mix breathe a bit.
2. Lack of reverb. Most of the mixes I've seen here OVERuse reverb; here it's UNDERused. Everything sounds unnaturally flat. I suggest you try creating a nice smooth reverb that sounds like a performance on a stage in your master buss and channel the whole kit and kaboodle through it, make it sound like everyone's up on a stage.

Also, I'd bring the backing vocals up a dB or two (another common problem with mixes of this song).

Interestingly, while the sound was pretty smooth in the early going, I started to hear a fair amount of distortion in the high frequencies once the chorus arrived; could be due to the excess compression or too much processing on the bass, I'm not sure, but I suspect the compression is the culprit there.

Could be better, but not too bad for a first song done on unfamiliar software or equipment. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
Who I Am First try at mixing - by cowboydan - 04-12-2012, 03:46 AM
RE: Who I Am First try at mixing - by Jamolir - 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
RE: Who I Am First try at mixing - by cowboydan - 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM
RE: Who I Am First try at mixing - by Jamolir - 04-12-2012, 04:30 PM
RE: Who I Am First try at mixing - by Mike Senior - 20-02-2013, 10:14 PM
RE: Who I Am First try at mixing - by cowboydan - 20-02-2013, 11:27 PM
RE: Who I Am First try at mixing - by Pedaling Prince - 05-01-2014, 03:16 AM