Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
About This Multitrack
In his track notes, Mike Senior points out there’s a lot of multi-miking in this session and that can cause phase problems when combining tracks. I listened for and measured phase among most of these combinations and recorded the results in the attached PDF. The quick summary is that I believe the recording engineer paid close attention to phase issues and most tracks can be used together with no problem. Here are the few potential issues I noticed:

You might want to flip phase on both the snare top and bottom so that they better match the overheads. This isn’t very serious. They don’t sound bad together.

The bass amp and DI tracks probably shouldn’t be used together. There are swings from positive to negative depending on the pitch so flipping phase on one track just reverses the swings.

The close and room tracks for the piano probably shouldn’t be used together for the same reason as the bass tracks.

Phase on the acoustic guitar DI track should probably be reversed if you want to use it with any of the mic tracks.

Note that in some cases you might actually want to use some out-of-phase tracks together. Some of them combine to thin the mid-range and that could be something you want. I’d probably opt for EQ myself but it’s a possibility.

.pdf    Phase.pdf --  (Download: 123.84 KB)

Messages In This Thread
About This Multitrack - by Mike Senior - 26-04-2012, 09:50 AM
RE: Phase - by Mike Z - 02-12-2012, 10:20 PM
RE: Phase - by Mike Z - 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM
RE: About This Multitrack - by Boyfromoz - 27-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Phase - by Mike Z - 02-12-2012, 05:13 AM
RE: Phase - by electricladyLAN - 02-12-2012, 07:13 AM
RE: Phase - by Mike Senior - 03-12-2012, 07:44 AM