Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Georgia Wonder - Siren
(08-02-2014, 12:56 PM)dwilko Wrote: New version with lowered acoustics and improved kick level…

hi Dave, nice to make your acquaintance. thanks for dropping by and inviting me over.

i fully and totally know where you were coming from in your post to me...however, nailing this song is far bigger than meets the ear (i think that's a pun!). i don't agree, however, that a mere 113bpm enables this song to make the category of "dance", especially with an incessant quarter-note drum loop and not a single fill anywhere, on top of an.... er... weak arrangement (but awesome potential). but what do i know? Wink

59 tracks equates to a tonne of frequency, and while at first view our 20-20,000Hz hearing range (more realistically 16,000Hz) may seem fairly generous, it's not when there's 59 tracks banging away, many seemingly at the same time Undecided. be mindful of the technical issues this presents, even before you push a fader!

[downloaded your v1 and v2, monitored with Sennheiser OvationII HD560's, which, incidentally, i've owned for 21 years]

my prime concern is in the HMF, and HF zones right now, because until you fix this, all other comments above are basically irrelevant. why am i saying this?

many (all?), in order to find clarity, have pushed this zone beyond excess and i feel my ears burning here too - that's the consequences of hearing/listening fatigue in excess. it's a mighty challenge to address effectively, and i''ve yet to hear anyone mix this song without issues in this regard. you will no doubt have read the personal problems i had in just trying to mix it without this problem inflicting me - i suffered! there is one track that was highly problematic, but it was by no means on it's own! beware.

there's stuff here that is horrendously distorted and brittle, (have a read up about Nyquist). i've no idea what everyone else is listening to, but they really need to calibrate their hearing to something reliable! if i've offended anyone, tuff! fix it. i get really irritated when people say..."great mix"...when my ears are on fire and i'm listening to distortion by the boatload! i don't wish to offend anyone, but if people have a poor Terms of Reference, then you are going to get the appropriate misleading feedback and it's not going to help anyone, especially you.

if you listen to distorted mp3 music and have done for some time, then you will mix to this standard because it forms your own Terms of Reference (i.e. brain programming/conditioning), so be mindful of this pitfall if you are not already.

a couple of other points:
- why are you only encoding this at 192kbps?
- what was your brickwall limiter set to?
- what resolution did you mix at...given the samples were 16bit?

i'm looking forward to hearing v3. if i can help, let me know, hey.

cheers
Dave

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Georgia Wonder - Siren - by dwilko - 22-01-2014, 07:41 AM
RE: Georgia Wonder - Siren - by thedon - 22-01-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Georgia Wonder - Siren - by dwilko - 22-01-2014, 01:29 PM
RE: Georgia Wonder - Siren - by bmullen - 22-01-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: Georgia Wonder - Siren - by dwilko - 22-01-2014, 11:31 PM
RE: Georgia Wonder - Siren - by dwilko - 08-02-2014, 12:56 PM
RE: Georgia Wonder - Siren - by The_Metallurgist - 08-02-2014, 04:57 PM
RE: Georgia Wonder - Siren - by dwilko - 09-02-2014, 01:55 PM