Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
!NEW! - Robert Hammon's - The Elephant
Is in the room....

A lot of decisions had been made in the recording and presentation of these files so that had an influence on the final product.

My first impression of the reference mix was that it needed to be harder edged, so that is the direction I chose for this mix.

It came together pretty quickly. I found I needed to clean up the snare a lot which I did by duplicating the top snare, de-noising it and editing the impulses to use as triggers on a gate on the snare buss. I offset the trigger track a few milliseconds early and tuned the attack, hold and release times accordingly. That helped a lot. I also threw a limiter on the OHs to knock down the snare in there as well. I chopped up the toms pretty easily so no gating there. Just compression and a good amount of gain.

The bass was full of tonal options and I pushed the mid-range and added buss compression and an in-line stereo phaser to give it a bit of movement and personality and threw it into the plate I used for general ambiance.

The main rhythm guitars had only EQ on them. The last two had echo and reverb to separate them according to the arrangement.

The keyboards were also very straightforward with EQ only.

The lead vocal required most of my attention. I attempted to create something unique and specific but not sure I got a keeper.

The background vocals were panned and EQ'd with plenty of the same effects chain as the 2nd and 3rd guitars.

I like the aggressiveness of the drums and how they work with the bass and guitars and the keyboards laying a warm bed below.

It was a fun mix.

Please enjoy and comment.

cITc

.mp3    Robert Hammon - The Elephant.mp3 --  (Download: 11.19 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
!NEW! - Robert Hammon's - The Elephant - by Mixinthecloud - 03-02-2020, 01:05 AM