Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pleasure to mix
(03-01-2020, 03:10 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Nice mix Smile

Cymbals/hihat are a tad too quiet; you should really bring up all the small details on the hihat/ride/cymbals with automation to make your mix even better and make it more energetic. The bass definitely needs a lot more beef or some sort of special effect in the middle passage because right now, it sounds too thin/boring while playing alone. Vocals are great. And finally, I found someone who mixed the solo passage how it is supposed to sound (solo up, vocals as support) and not the other way around.

Other than that there is not really more to say because your latest mix sounds very close to the original unmastered version. In direct comparison my mix has more ooomph and is a bit more transparent, but that a lot of that special juice/icing on the cake probably came from Ermin Hamidovics (our mastering guy)

That doesn't mean that my mix is perfect, but it's how we wanted this song to sound in the first place, so congratz for nailing it Smile

Hey Blitzzz

Thanks for the feedback. Great track to work on. Maybe the reason the bass sounds thin in the middle is because I ducked the volume by about 6dB and bypassed the Waves R bass I had running at that point to lend a softer contrast so that when the solo kicks in it hits hard. Maybe 6dB was too much. As for the cymbals youre right I could have automated those during the denser parts of the arrangement.

I did a quick master job to get the track louder and a final EQ curve that more closely represented the Killswitch album, but yes a professional master would definitely be preferable.

Awesome playing by the way, thanks for sharing.

Messages In This Thread
A pleasure to mix - by StreetLethal - 28-12-2019, 02:05 AM
RE: A pleasure to mix - by StreetLethal - 28-12-2019, 03:31 AM
RE: A pleasure to mix - by StreetLethal - 28-12-2019, 05:06 AM
RE: A pleasure to mix - by MassAloha - 01-01-2020, 03:43 PM
RE: A pleasure to mix - by StreetLethal - 02-01-2020, 02:58 AM
RE: A pleasure to mix - by Blitzzz - 03-01-2020, 03:10 PM
RE: A pleasure to mix - by StreetLethal - 04-01-2020, 03:04 AM