Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Tyo: 'Never Ebb But Flow'
Yeah, Dave, I know Australia is a big place but still I know your country is going through a lot right now. I wish you and yours the best. Even if fires aren't an issue for you, though they may be, (I'm too lazy to call up a map right now) I know the heat is. Be well.

Pleasantries aside, yeah, this mix needs work as you are probably aware. The piano is more than fine in the verses. Maybe it's the mix or my earbuds but there feels like a blanket over the mix. And I think part of that is a reaction to the arrangement. There are elements that are harsh and piercing and I think people compensate the whole mix for those elements. That might not be what's happening here but it's a thought I've had lately listening to other mixes.

The snare is the only thing that feels "wrong". There are overtones to my ear that take all my attention. Everything else feels kinda just there.
I think this is one of those mixes where one has to throw out what they've learned and build up a kick ass rhythm section, then the vocals and leads and slides. Then all the BS. Maybe not for you but just in general.

The balances feel fine. The meal is cooked well. The steak is a fine medium rare. But under-seasoned. There are salty bits on the plate but the focus for most people seems to be on those bits.

Sorry to pontificate.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.

Messages In This Thread
David Tyo: 'Never Ebb But Flow' - by Dangerous - 21-12-2019, 11:52 AM
RE: David Tyo: 'Never Ebb But Flow' - by Cudjoe - 21-12-2019, 12:41 PM
RE: David Tyo: 'Never Ebb But Flow' - by Roy - 21-12-2019, 02:56 PM
RE: David Tyo: 'Never Ebb But Flow' - by LukasL - 23-12-2019, 10:09 AM
RE: David Tyo: 'Never Ebb But Flow' - by thedon - 24-12-2019, 11:07 AM