Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Roar"ing into 2020's
Hello everybody,

Mixed this in Harrison, and did a Faux light Mastering on this in Reaper. Someone with a deft enough touch could crank the level on this, but I am afraid of breaking what I built.

The tracks were clean, and excellently performed, which always makes the job loads simpler, so I felt a bit more relaxed while tackling the thing as a whole.

Most of what I did was partially undoing what I had just done, which was try and bring the image more forward, without adding any artifacts. Most work was cleaning up peak frequencies created by the colored EQ's I used, and making sure things didn't poke out too much in the mid range. There could easily be a build up between 1 and 2k between the voice and guitar, so I did a fair amount of "cleaning up" in this area.

I added a bass amp sim on the DI track, bussed those together, and made sure I ran them through the appropriate Slate Pre to clean up some of the sub areas (the trident Pre seemed to clean a lot of the boominess, while keeping definition). I also added a transient controller plugin from Kilohearts, as the bass attack was intruding on the kick drum.

In the aux percussion department, I sent them all to a buss with a slap back delay into a small room reverb. Wanted to keep their immediate attack, while keeping some space. Didn't do much else to them.

I definitely cleared a lot of lower mids from the acoustic and 12 string tracks. They could have easily dominated the track with their constant strumming, and the close micing they received, but I think I was able to keep them warm, without their boominess with the SoundBrigade plugin.

All in all, it was a pleasure to mix, and I hope you enjoy! Comments and critiques are always welcome!

Draper

.mp3    Roar Final.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

Messages In This Thread
"Roar"ing into 2020's - by loweche6 - 03-12-2019, 04:20 AM
RE: "Roar"ing into 2020's - by Roy - 03-12-2019, 04:49 AM
RE: "Roar"ing into 2020's - by loweche6 - 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM
RE: "Roar"ing into 2020's - by loweche6 - 04-12-2019, 09:33 PM