Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated 10-24: Fytakyte - Outa Control - Master 8
Hi MITC, I like the choices you made in the mix - It definitely keeps the essence of the song intact. I like how you featured the jangly clean echoy guitar in the chorus - it works well. I love the drum and guitar sounds. Punchy and powerful

I had a listen to the mix both on my cruddy little 2.1 Auditek speakers at work, and my studio monitors. On my work speakers I noticed that the bass doesn't cut through as much as I personally would prefer for such a signature part of the track. On my studio monitors it represents better, but I think it could just have a little more low-mid presence to sound more muscular across all systems.

On the work speakers, I noticed that the vocals are very up-front and loud. The vocals themselves sound very good tonally, but when I turned up the speakers, they tended to make the mix a little strident and high-mid-loaded sounding. Again, the balance works a little better on my studio monitors, but particularly in the first part of the first verse with just the drums, bass and vocals , the vocals tend to sound a little "unglued" from the rest of the mix. It gets a bit better when the distorted guitars join, as the high mid content seems to be counterbalanced by the low mid content of the guitars, and it creates a better sense of "connectivity" between the different frequency ranges.

However, when the chorus hits, the "unglued vocal" sensation returns somewhat - perhaps because the jangly guitar and vocal sit in a similar frequency range as the vocal.

I think maybe warming up the bass in the low mids may hold some of the key, but I think a slightly tucked in lead vocal may work better to retain a sense of power in the instrumental part of the mix.

Overall, I enjoy a lot of things about the mix - thanks for sharing your take on it.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fytakyte - Outa Control - by Lethan - 21-10-2019, 01:11 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Outa Control - by Mixinthecloud - 21-10-2019, 05:25 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Outa Control - by Lethan - 21-10-2019, 05:48 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Outa Control - by Mixinthecloud - 21-10-2019, 08:22 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Outa Control - by Cudjoe - 21-10-2019, 03:32 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Outa Control - by Mixinthecloud - 21-10-2019, 05:23 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Outa Control - by FytaKyte - 22-10-2019, 10:23 AM
RE: Fytakyte - Outa Control - by Mixinthecloud - 24-10-2019, 03:39 PM