Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fytakyte: 'Outa Control'_mix Tommy M.
(10-10-2019, 01:30 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: Andrew (I think that's your name),

Thanks so much for your detailed response. I know exactly how you feel and I agree about everything you said regarding what is in YOUR (the artist's) head. We all have that same thing going on in our heads, well, those of us who write music as well as produce it, etc.

I recall a recent project where I produced an entire CD for a friend who re-wrote 8 songs from an old cassette of his brother's songs from the 80's. His brother died some years back and the cassette was going to be thrown in the dumpster when he grabbed it and listened to it. In his memory/honor, he literally reproduced every note from scratch (and even managed to bring in the original singer) and the project was off to the races. Since he lives kind of far from me, we WERE able to do most of the project with me sitting here at a distance. But, when it came to the final "tweaking," he drove down here and we had a massive session ironing out a bunch of things. My point is, I needed him here, with HIS ear, so that HIS idea of the final mix could be achieved. I valued that greatly and the final product was what HE heard in HIS head.

You see, there were things I tried during that project that he didn't like and asked me to try something else. I had originally sound-replaced the toms altogether and he hated it. So, I buried myself in my studio for days on end getting the original toms to sound right.....was worth the effort because the drums really were recorded pretty well and I was just not yet able to work out the toms correctly. The drums were recorded in the Acme Studios in New York where Boz Scaggs had done some recording as well as the Spin Doctors and many others. My friend wanted THAT room sound (THAT drum sound) and I had to give it to him, so I know exactly what you mean in every respect.

What was great about actually being in constant communication with him and sending him the pieces of the project as it evolved, was that I got the feedback I needed from him to keep the project going in HIS direction. We all have our own ideas on how things should sound. The project was reviewed by some biggies in the industry and they said my mixes were great and so I'm very proud of the endless hours of work I put into that project, but I digress.

Hi Tom,
Yes, working in person with the artist is an ideal situation, and it's great to hear your experience, and how well it turned out. It is something that is becoming rarer these days, with the advent of the internet. I've been mixing for other bands/artists off and on for the past 10 years or so, and that has mostly been done via the internet. The few times I've actually gotten in a room with a band for recording and production have really added another dimension to the process. it certainly was much more immediate and exciting.

Quote:Anyway, this is getting really long so I'll sign off. To close, I so appreciated your song and like it a lot! Perhaps I'll go back in there, put in the acoustic guitars, correct the bass issues and submit another mix. I want to thank you for the props and I wish you all the best in your endeavors. See ya again on here in this forum. :-)

Tom

No worries. As I said, I quite like where you took the song by leaving out the acoustics, so I wouldn't sweat that. Cheers, Andrew

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fytakyte: 'Outa Control'_mix Tommy M. - by FytaKyte - 11-10-2019, 09:07 AM