Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fytakyte: 'Outa Control'_mix Tommy M.
Angel

Great rock tune! Now I know I shouldn't make "arrangement" decisions since this is a mixing forum and we should just use the tracks as provided. However, if I were the producer and wearing my producer's hat on this one, I would have left out some tracks, which I did. The acoustic guitars just didn't feel right in a song with this feel...just my opinion, so they are not in my mix. Some of you have done a great job in keeping them in there and cutting through the mix, but again, they seemed wrong for this genre and style. Since nobody is going to judge me on that I made the decision to do that. A few other tracks were superfluous and just did not "add" anything to the song, but rather, cluttered it up, so again.....gone.

General thoughts: I made this mix tight and without too many effects. I know a lot of you are making this a very "big" sound with lots of reverb and such. I just took a different approach. I wanted the lead vocal to sit nicely and be the center of the song, which it should. The guitars (electric) didn't have to take over the mix and so they are there with the appropriate amount of rock flavor, in my opinion, and not in there like they are in a stadium. You all can beat me up if you want. I just listen critically to these songs and mix them as if they were my own project. Hence, sometimes I make "executive" decisions in my mixes.....not always, but this time I did. To the artist: I apologize.

Sincerely,

Tom

------------------UPDATE-----------------

After talking with Andrew, the artist for the song, I went in and put lots more work into this project and produced what I think is a much better mix. I hope you all like it. Sounds like rock and roll to me! :-)

Tom

.mp3    OuttaControl_7M.mp3 --  (Download: 9.26 MB)

.mp3    OuttaControl_10M.mp3 --  (Download: 9.31 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek

Messages In This Thread
Fytakyte: 'Outa Control'_mix Tommy M. - by tjmtruth - 09-10-2019, 06:40 PM