Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad's Eyes - New Mixes
(07-06-2019, 12:12 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 04:11 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Dave,
Some good points you have raised. After a detached listen I also felt that the acoustic could be centered and the electric widened to fill the space, which is precisely what I did in Mix 3. My thinking was more along the lines that the singer is also the acoustic player so I thought his entire performance might work better centered, including his guitar. I think both work. I like the panned guitars as they sound good with the bounce of the song. Take a listen to Mix 3 and let me know what you think of the panning you suggested. BTW the mando is really dark and I have brightened up more than I would ever imagine doing. I do like the body of it.

Thanks for the listen.

Mix 4 certainly paints a different picture and is probably more in line with a live centred performance. I definitely feel this listening with headphones on, but I also feel it's come at a cost of the clarity that you achieved with mix2. That lovely acoustic strumming sound has become lost and also for me, interestingly the bass guitar has tonally lost it's edge and it's dominant centred space which actually when comparing the 2 mixes was quite a feature of the first.
I guess all things are trade offs and be mindful that I make these comments with headphones on and not with spaced listening. With fresh "day after" ears Mitc, what are your thoughts?

Dave,
Right you are. Centering the acoustic definitely reduces its definition. I believe that is why I panned it to the opposite side of the electric in my first mixes. As for the bass, there is a lack of sustain in the low mids on the instrument which leaves a hole in the punch and groove of the song and in mix 4 I tried to fill it with a narrow stereo flange. While it adds movement it did not really help with definition. I'd have to say Mix 2 is still my favorite.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Chad's Eyes - New Mixes - by Mixinthecloud - 27-04-2019, 07:51 PM
RE: Chad's Eyes - by LukasL - 27-04-2019, 10:01 PM
RE: Chad's Eyes - by Davie.T - 11-05-2019, 04:48 PM
RE: Chad's Eyes - by Mixinthecloud - 05-06-2019, 07:30 PM
RE: Chad's Eyes - by Dangerous - 06-06-2019, 11:38 AM
RE: Chad's Eyes - by Mixinthecloud - 06-06-2019, 04:11 PM
RE: Chad's Eyes - by Dangerous - 07-06-2019, 12:12 PM
RE: Chad's Eyes - by Mixinthecloud - 07-06-2019, 01:55 PM