Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.29 Average
Fytakyte - Bitter - Updated Mix3a
It is good to see that the artist so engaged in the critiques of the mixes here. I wonder if I am the only one though who is a bit confused by the author's reference to choruses in Bryan Adams and Tom Petty songs. I did not understand the reference considering the chorus of the Bryan Adams song had no background vocals and the Tom Petty song was a call and answer chorus. What am I missing? I also saw a reference to Rick Springfield by another mixer and that I agree with. Sorry to make that connection again. As a mixer from the 'big hair' era, this just screams ol' Ricky boy. Not that that is a bad thing.

The song has lots of challenges, with the thickness of layers being primary. There are some great interpretations here of the guitars, drums and vocals which all have unique opportunities to play around with. Kudos to my brother and sister mixers for some great work and creative approaches.

This is mine. I hope it is an enjoyable version. As always, comments and discussions are encouraged.

Fytakyte - Bitter - Mix3a
The number of distinct guitar and vocal parts in this composition generated a plethora of sub-groups. In the DAW I use (Studio One) this is a matter of packing a folder consisting of the instruments you select and assigning them to either a buss or a VCA. These can also be nested within busses so all the electric guitar become sub-goups of a main Electrics buss. This goes the same for vocals and drums, etc. In this song I decided to use exclusively in-line effect processing. For all of the guitar and vocal sub groups this allowed me to created subtle character for each figure and phrase in the song. While I could have done this with sends, the ability to have a string of compressors, EQ (pre-and post effects) and a room reverb gave me a ton of control I was after.

This version has much more attention paid to compression and eq of individual instruments and part-based busses to bring out the character of the phrases and figures which give this song its life. It is quite different than my first mix, but is based on ideas I developed in it. I hope you enjoy the comparison.

Thanks for listening,
mITc

.mp3    Fytakyte - Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 8.42 MB)

.mp3    Fytakyte - Bitter - Mix 3a.mp3 --  (Download: 8.42 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Fytakyte - Bitter - Updated Mix3a - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 03:37 AM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Roy - 10-04-2019, 01:51 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 03:25 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Roy - 10-04-2019, 03:52 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 04:40 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Roy - 10-04-2019, 04:47 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 07:58 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Cudjoe - 10-04-2019, 04:56 PM
RE: Fytakyte - Bitter - by Mixinthecloud - 10-04-2019, 07:34 PM