Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I did not listen to the original mix before starting to work on the song.
Project contains samples to boost some kick drum hits and some drum breaks. Drummer does not need anything like that, so I chose to not use any of those sample tracks. Lots of guitar tracks in the project, so I needed to find out on whose of those to focus. Turned out, not the same focus, the artists had in mind. I did listen to the original mix afterwards. A stranger starts to work on someone's piece of art and comes up with something completely different. That's what is so much fun about it. Hope you'll like it. I tend to prefer Soundcloud for uploading. You'll find the same tracks from me there as well. I appreciate all kinds of comments or likes there as well, of course.

https://soundcloud.com/chanscte/sets/gra...wstate-mix

Update: So far there were two users providing feedback which is appreciated, of course.

Mixinthecloud says:
Quote:On my system it sounds like there is a blanket over my speakers.

RoyMatthews says:
Quote:The overall low end feels loud and the high end is a tame.

Although I think I know what is meant by this, I cannot reproduce it locally. What I noticed is, most of the mixes uploaded to the forum are way louder and, as I would describe it, finished "mastered" productions. As this made me really confused about what to upload to this forum, I mastered the mix myself and added that to this post as well. The mastered version is way louder, of course (-16LUFS vs. -7LUFS integrated) and I think the low end will be even louder than in the mix. So what is criticized in the mix may really be intention. I cannot tell. All that I can tell is that I need to pull down the volume potentiometer of the DAC quite a lot to not overload the speakers. On the headphones the low end sounds even more present than before. Would be interested to here about how this version sounds to you. Not sure, if it is a good idea that the person having done the mix also is the person doing the mastering. Four ears vs. two ears, so to say.

Update 2:

Artyom Donka says:
Quote:Should you try balance low end maybe? Feels overpowered even while listening on my headphones, which have very moderate low end response.

This made me listen to the MP3 files I uploaded to this forum instead of the WAV files I was listening to locally. Turned out there is a huge difference between these files. I could reproduce what you guys were telling me by just listening to the MP3s I posted to this forum. What is a bit disappointing to me is that the original mix was just sounding exactly the way I wanted it to and only the MP3s, encoded using lame, had the issues described here. As I cannot reproduce the former versions any more - cause I did this stupid CTRL-S at the wrong time - I can only provide the updated versions here. This time using the Fraunhofer MP3 codec instead of lame. So I compared the MP3 version against the WAV version before uploading this time, just to be sure there is no "blanket" effect in those files anymore. What is different in the new version compared to the old versions is that I added gates and compressors to the drum tracks, fixed an issue with the bass track, and rebalanced the levels once more. So what I upload here now marked as Fraunhofer is not the same mix as uploaded before. Sadly. All you lame apostles, think about it! That damn codec just...

So please keep in mind that you are not only judging a mix or some kind of skills here, but also the codec used to present those to you. What a bad choice for such a forum to make Angry

.mp3    Gravediggers - Hollowstate - Christian Schulte.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

.mp3    Gravediggers - Hollowstate - Christian Schulte - Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

.mp3    Gravediggers - Hollowstate - Christian Schulte - Fraunhofer.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

Messages In This Thread
I did not listen to the original mix before starting to work on the song. - by Christian Schulte - 13-03-2019, 08:29 AM