Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.17 Average
mITc's Hollowstate - Gravediggers - Mix 2
When I listened to this early on it seemed like it would be an easy get. WRONG!
Then I listened to Kapu's mix and man did that sound good and I thought this would be way beyond my skills.
And when I got into it and saw the 50+ tracks and the gazillion guitars I thought geez, what have I gotten myself into?
Well, here it is. Let me know what you think. There are a lot of good and creative takes on this and I am curious as to how this stax up against the great mixes here.

Mix 2

Someone gave my first mix a rating of 1! Ouch. That's like getting rocks for Halloween Tongue

My second pass at this is still a tough get. My biggest change was in arrangement by automating the drop of all the drums in the choruses except for the synth parts, the overheads, the toms and the samples. I really wanted the synth drums to show up and this was the only way to do it. I have not heard a mix yet which makes use of the synth drums. I did a lot of panning and level changes to the myriad guitar parts looking for tone and figure to keep the ear engaged. The only drums which have added reverb are the toms and just slightly. The rest of the kit has only the room mics for environment. I really liked how those worked. I probably could have done better with my automation, especially the vocals, but it is what it is. I found there was some saturation on the recorded lead vocals so I decided to add more. There is a lot of energy to contend with throughout the song and it was not an easy get.

I did a lot of M/S processing on Mix 2 to try and enhance and separate and added clarity with some top-end EQ.

Thanks for your input and ear time.

mITc

.mp3    Hollowstate - Gravediggers.mp3 --  (Download: 9.95 MB)

.mp3    Hollowstate - Gravediggers - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.08 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
mITc's Hollowstate - Gravediggers - Mix 2 - by Mixinthecloud - 17-02-2019, 08:54 AM
RE: mITc's Hollowstate - Gravediggers? - by Roy - 17-02-2019, 02:48 PM
RE: mITc's Hollowstate - Gravediggers? - by kapu - 17-02-2019, 09:17 PM
RE: mITc's Hollowstate - Gravediggers? - by jgrab - 18-02-2019, 02:00 AM
RE: mITc's Hollowstate - Gravediggers? - by Roy - 18-02-2019, 04:06 PM