Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix by Zbat
Hey man, cool take on this!

First couple of things are a little nitpicky, but there's a pop on the vocal in the first verse before he says "I cannot live like that" that you could cut out, and at the start of the bridge section, the fuzz bass track enters quite suddenly a couple of beats after the clean track. You could maybe fade it or have it enter with the drums.

I don't think the mix is too bright overall but a lot of the parts have presence in the same frequency range, around 2-5KHz. If you tame that area on the rhythm guitars, I don't think the vocal would have to be quite as aggressive and it might feel a little smoother.

The bass drum is a bit extreme haha, almost like "And Justice For All" era Metallica. This type of music suits a narrower, thuddy sound, in my opinion. This is probably due to the sound on the recording though, I don't remember. Is that a sample they had in there?

The snare definitely doesn't have that hyper-modern punch, but honestly I don't think it needs it. I think it's fair to compare this band to the Foo Fighters in some ways and if you listen, a lot of their drum sounds have quite a mellow attack like yours. This type of snare sounds great turned up loud and won't sound offensive through small speakers, so that's a definite up side.

You mentioned building hooks and stuff on my mix, and I think that's the type of thing that really isn't talked about enough on here. Everyone can get very focused on the sounds and frequencies and what compressors to use here and there, etc., but the most important thing is creating a song. I think this mix is actually very good. The balance is really nice, it has build, the chorus feels like a chorus.

I can relate with the whole not taking breaks thing btw haha. When I start a mix, I usually get way too into it and don't stop until I finish, not the best idea! I have to train myself to let it sit overnight or something so I can listen with fresh ears.

Out of curiosity, are you into a lot of music from the 90's and early 2000's? I feel like I can hear that in your mixes. You mix quite dry like a lot of music back then, I like that sound too.

Messages In This Thread
Mix by Zbat - by Zbat - 06-02-2019, 05:51 AM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Zbat - 06-02-2019, 12:32 PM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Pasta - 08-02-2019, 11:06 AM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Zbat - 08-02-2019, 01:45 PM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Pasta - 08-02-2019, 02:18 PM
RE: Mix by Zbat - by Zbat - 09-02-2019, 06:03 AM