Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#29 Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix
Nice little rola. It looks like late night mixing ain't my forte. Two big ill advised tonal choices I only noticed next morning:

- Guitar is FrankZapping the singer in a really bad way. As most guitar players, I got singer envy, so subconsciously I took advantage of a half hearted performance. I saw no way vocal riding could fix so much dynamics with so much bleed, so I really didn't try. I just wish these Telefunken sessions came with overdubbed vocals more often.
- Bass is fat and feels sorta detached of the rest of the band. I got carried away with a new amp plugin (I'm all excuses today) and first print was even worse. I tried to minimize the damage with some EQ over the "mastered" mix so this is more like a "rescrew-I-mean-remaster".

Anyway, I got a doubt. How do you guys and dolls cope with OH's stereo? I'm still pretty new to mixing real drums and I find hard to deal with how wide most OH's tracks are, like most of the times neither kick or snare are near the mid in the stereo image. But then most of the time you just want them to be pretty much mono, so what's the drill? Are the isolated mics to provide the meat of the sound for those parts or just round up a little? Sometimes they are pretty loud in the OH's (ironically, I think it happens the more the better the drummer is), so if I want to keep some cymbals in the mix I have to use a lot of OH's and very little close mics and that makes that wide image a real PITA for me.

Any tips about this would be so welcome.

.mp3    29 - Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers - Rescue me (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 8.95 MB)

Messages In This Thread
#29 Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix - by Deliza - 16-01-2019, 06:43 PM
RE: Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix - by KMuzic - 17-01-2019, 06:28 PM
RE: Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix - by kuasibeat - 17-01-2019, 07:11 PM
RE: Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix - by Deliza - 17-01-2019, 07:13 PM
RE: Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix - by kuasibeat - 17-01-2019, 07:13 PM
RE: Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix - by Deliza - 17-01-2019, 08:52 PM
RE: Rescue Me - IAMAHACK Mix - by kuasibeat - 17-01-2019, 11:45 PM