Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Know Better mixed by Rob Ursino
(16-01-2019, 01:48 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: In general, I love the way you've been working with the arrangement -- you've clearly got a good ear for that! Introducing the claps in the intro was canny, too, as a foreshadowing of the Outro. Wish I'd thought of that! Smile Anyway, here are some more ideas:
  • The Chorus 3 drop-down is another arrangement highlight, especially as it's prefaced by a delay spin that was prepared at the end of Verse 2. However, when the drums return, it feels odd that the bass doesn't too. I realise that might be because that's what I did Rolleyes but I think the contrast would also be better in your case that way.
  • The second verse's arrangement is pretty much identical to the first, so I find my attention wandering. How are you going to refresh the material there?
  • The biggest improvements you can make now would be on the engineering side. The overall mix tonality is very bass-light below 100Hz or so, and the hi-hat has a bit of a 3kHz edginess to it, but the vocal's sub-250Hz energy is nonetheless making the mix sound a little congested. I'd suggest stripping out some of the processing and trying to do a bit more work with the faders if possible, as I think that might give a more open-sounding result. Remember too that the vocal should be king here, no matter how cool the arrangement stunts.
  • The overdrive guitar sound is cool in its own right, but I wonder whether it's a bit too much of a stretch into classic rock territory for this song. Also, its riffing in Chorus 2 is combining with the hi-hat harshness element to make the whole mix almost feel like it's distorting -- as well as masking the vocal, of course.

Hope some of that's handy for you -- thanks for posting!
Thank you so much Mike! I will attempt to improve my mix bearing in mind your invaluable suggestions! Blush

Messages In This Thread
RE: You Know Better mixed by Rob Ursino - by Rob Sidhe - 16-01-2019, 11:24 PM