Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final
Hi Mixinthecloud! Here are some ideas I had listening to your mix:
  • The vocal reverb is more audible in the verses than I'd instinctively have had it, but I think it works on its own terms given the generally chilled vibe.
  • There are some extreme-HF transients that seem a little 'spitty' for want of a better word, although it's a little difficult to work out where they're coming from! I'm guessing stick noise from the overheads, or edit clicks on the conga/timbale/bass tracks, or maybe even rhythm-guitar picking? Not sure, but it's a little distracting for me, especially when turning up the volume -- which your mix makes me want to! Smile
  • Love the warmth and understated nature of the bass, although I wonder whether the midrange could come through a touch more on small speakers.
  • I like the mix effects, which are adding an appealing wetness without washing things out -- I get the impression that delays are as much responsible for this as reverbs, which would make sense if the case.
  • Both solo guitars feel like they could be more controlled dynamically. Either I'm getting notes poking out too far, for instance in the Intro, or I'm losing nice details of the musical line, as in the second verse. I wonder a similar thing about the whistling in the outro, which feels a bit overbearing on some notes, but not others.
  • I wonder whether the side-stick and snare could both be a bit more prominent -- particularly in the Reintro, where the snare feels underpowered in the groove to me. It also makes fills like the one at the end of Verse 3 less dramatic.
  • I like the shimmering Hammond -- a lovely character, and yet the vocal remains well upfront despite it.

Hope some of those suggestions are of any use -- thanks for submitting your mix!

Also, I'd like to add a special extra note of appreciation for all the fabulous mix feedback you've been providing for other Discussion Zone users. You're a gent, and it's a shining example of the kind of attitude that makes this forum such a special place for learning about mixing. More power to your keyboard! Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - by LukasL - 26-12-2018, 09:11 PM
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - by thedon - 30-12-2018, 10:29 AM
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - by Monk - 04-01-2019, 01:55 PM
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Updated - by Mike Senior - 16-01-2019, 01:43 PM