Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final
Hello everyone...

It's been some time since I've posted but I am happy to say it is because I have been busy with other mixing opportunities.

It is nice to be back in the fold at CambridgeMT again.

So this composition reminded me immediately of Tracy Chapman's remarkable "Give Me One Reason". So in that vein I approached this mix.

I started with the bass and let that define the rest of the mix. Once I settled on that sound the rest came pretty easily. This was wonderfully recorded and needed very little to bring out the heart of this song, in my opinion.

I hope you find it worthy of a good listen.

1-06-2019 Update

Thanks to some very good input I have made some changes. Cleaned up the bottom, brightened the top and remastered for level.

1-26-2019 Competition Update

After taking time to absorb Mike's review and some time on other projects to give my brain a rest, I am offering up my final mix for the competition.

I do not have the musical skills of some of the mixers here so my approach will always defer to the genre, the artist's apparent wants and approaches and notes which have been added to the tracks as provided by CambridgeMT. As a result my arrangement edits are pretty basic but always in service to the song.

To that end, I have added my arrangement changes at the front of the song. Automated mutes for the percussion were made throughout to add dynamics and interest. Other automation includes levels on the rhythm guitar through the song. As most listeners had intoned, the whistles at the end where a bit piercing in my original mix and that has been addressed. Call and response levels between the guitars have also been evened out with phrase leveling on the wave forms. My drums have remained mostly intact although I have slightly raised the snare level and slightly altered the EQ on the overheads. The bass had some minor tone adjustments and reverb was removed entirely for better clarity without adding more EQ (to avoid attention to clicks and pops).

I tried to remain true to what I felt was the focus of the song, being the vocals and the lyric and tried not to overwhelm by overstating a reggae or rock feel onto a mostly country ballad with a funky groove. I hope I was successful.

There are some really great takes on this song from many very talented mixers. I hope you find this worthy of your review and enjoy the listen as I have from so many of you.

Thanks,
mITc

.mp3    Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better.mp3 --  (Download: 8.26 MB)

.mp3    Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - Competition Final.mp3 --  (Download: 8.44 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final - by Mixinthecloud - 25-12-2018, 07:44 PM
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - by LukasL - 26-12-2018, 09:11 PM
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - by thedon - 30-12-2018, 10:29 AM
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - by Monk - 04-01-2019, 01:55 PM