Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Drag Me Down (BCS Mix)
(31-01-2019, 03:43 PM)bcs_mix Wrote:
(29-01-2019, 02:30 PM)Zen Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 05:37 AM)Shul Wrote: Sounding awesome!!

Really reminds me of Asking Alexandria.. I don't really know how you got that voice and that rhythm guitar to sound so awesome in the chorus! One thing that I would change is the snare. I don't particularly like the sound for what you got.. but hey it's completely subjective.

I'm gonna take some inspiration off your reverb work man. I hope you don't mind Big Grin
Great mix!

Seriously, I don't get what you guys are listening with. This mix doesn't really sound that awesome, in fact it's really muddy and crowded. Don't give feedbacks if you don't know what you are talking about.
Okay that's interesting...
I mix on an HD600. In hindsight, I can see the mix is a little bit dark and reverby, but that's just style preference, and it changes all the time. I intended the song to feel "cold" and dark. Technically speaking, I really don't think it's that muddy, just the bass is maybe too loud. I'm not sure what you mean by crowded, though.

Also, I'd rather take feedback from someone with plenty of generally praised work on the site than someone with none at all. No offence.

Really looking forward to your more in-depth feedback, though. I still think this song should be one of my best work so maybe you could help make it so?

Here is where it's muddy and boomy. Check around 150Hz. There a resonating peak that gives that sense of boomyness in the chorus and where there is bass playing.
Also at 300Hz there are some weird resonances. What I would do: high pass at 30Hz the bass, reduce bass 150Hz by about 3-5db. Also The snare has a boomy resonance at about 300Hz. Overall, kick and snare are not punchy enough and need to be slightly louder. In the intro, when the acapella starts, if you notice there is still some guitar playing: to help the mix come through better, you can use volume automation to slowly reduce the volume of guitars, so when the acapella starts it has enough space to be heard well. Also, some acapella layers have too much rumble. Try to high pass them from about 180-200Hz. Also, slightly before the first chorus there is some clipping caused by the drums: be mindful of this stuff because it's important before mastering. In the electronic break the electronic drums can't be heard, they are too quiet. Also, to help vocals come through during choruses, it can help a lot to use multiband sidechaining. Finally, don't use too many effects on vocals and reduce ambient of drums (the reverbered layer).

Messages In This Thread
Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 11-12-2018, 02:42 AM
RE: Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by Shul - 11-12-2018, 05:37 AM
RE: Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 11-12-2018, 04:46 PM
RE: Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by Zen - 29-01-2019, 02:30 PM
RE: Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 31-01-2019, 03:43 PM
RE: Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by Zen - 31-01-2019, 04:04 PM
RE: Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 11-12-2018, 05:49 PM
RE: Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by Shul - 11-12-2018, 08:59 PM
RE: Drag Me Down (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 01-02-2019, 11:04 AM