Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revo X, How Loud Can You Go? - by Olli H
Normally I try to keep a dynamic range around 9-14 dB. I just don't like loud music. That alone was a good enough reason to educate my conservative mind. So I wanted to test what is the loudest mix I can make before I start to vomit.

For reference I took Foo Fighters. In some of their songs the dynamic range is about 5 dB. That is to say: ridicilous. But I have to admit they can make it sound quite good although the level meter does not jump at all.

I really did my best to reach the 5 dB dynamic range. Well, it's not mixers duty alone to go that loud level, but I played also the role of the mastering engineer at the same time. In some parts of my mix the the dynamic range meter really stops jumping and stays around 5 dB. New experience to me.

So my apologies to Buitraker that I decided to abuse their song for this test to learn something new. (I do like the song very much, and I think the loudness is natural part of this genre.)

So what's your opinion, to vomit or not to vomit?

EDIT 1 : new loud version added (revox-loud2-olli-h.mp3)

EDIT 2 : new version with normal dynamic range added (revox-DR-10dB-olli-h.mp3)

EDIT 3 : comparison version added. Parts of the both versions at the same RMS level

.mp3    revox-loud-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.26 MB)

.mp3    revox-loud2-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.26 MB)

.mp3    revox-DR-10dB-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.26 MB)

.mp3    revox-comparison.mp3 --  (Download: 2.38 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Revo X, How Loud Can You Go? - by Olli H - by Olli H - 11-09-2013, 02:32 PM