Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew - Get Out Of Bed [OctoOnFire]
I went for loud and obnoxious, had a lot of fun mixing this band.
Maybe I overdid it a bit, but I felt like the song needed it Smile

Let me know what you think! Big Grin

Quote:Version 2:
I went back to the mix in order to tame the distortion and check out the low end. I ended up changing plenty of things down there. I started by carving a little space in the bass around 75Hz, but when I went to the kick, I started checking the phase with the 2 sets of overheads and recovered most of the kick's low end around that same area. Also, there was a cardboardish kick sound coming from the overheads.
Anyway, because of all this I had to rebalance the other elements. There's also the change of tone after "deharshing" the voice and drums a little, and bringing some punch back to the snare.
In the end, it sounds quite different to me, more contained and defined, the mid range seems to come forward in a pleasant way. When comparing, I kind of miss that extra oomph from the lower mids in version 1 that seemed to give it some extra depth. I feel that v2 is technically better, but I still like some things of the first one.

Oh and btw I removed that UGLY distortion from the guitars. I was feeding 14dB into a saturator when it should have been 4dB *facepalm*

Quote:v3 Update:

Now with Snare!!
(and a little less harsh)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_OctoOnFire.mp3 --  (Download: 6.9 MB)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_OctoOnFire_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.64 MB)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_OctoOnFire_V3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.9 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Messages In This Thread
Magician's Nephew - Get Out Of Bed [OctoOnFire] - by OctopusOnFire - 02-11-2018, 10:00 PM