Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIATM SpedeMix
(06-09-2013, 11:45 AM)Spede Wrote: The middle-8 part seemed really weird and "lack-of-ideas"-y so I ended up making quite weird sounding in order to have some musical dynamics when we return to the last verse.

hi there,

this mix took a lot of time, just sorting out which tracks to use was a mission on it's own! i fully agree with you about the middle bit. my solution was to drink a cup of coffee. if you fast forward my mix to 2:30 you'll see what effect his had.

my motto when faced with something ugly...mute it, or copy/paste some bits from elsewhere in the song and fix it. unfortunately, i didn't think your solution worked for the genre, nor the song but it was a difficult problem to resolve, granted.

just a few other points that might help...
i thought i was sitting on top of the Djembe here, so close it was in my face. this proximity left me feeling uncomfortable. same with the bass gtr. i think the problem lies in panning, levels, compression and most of all the lack of ambiance which would create that spacial feeling of realness in which the musicians are performing - if the recordings are tracked dry, you need to work hard at creating this space artificially. generally speaking, i couldn't position the musicians here when i closed my eyes. no picture, just audio which didn't make sense. check out the Ukulele for example.

i loved the lead vocal here, it was really beautiful.

cheers! bigDave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
FIATM SpedeMix - by Spede - 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM
RE: FIATM SpedeMix - by mik123 - 06-09-2013, 12:00 PM
RE: FIATM SpedeMix - by Daniel Y - 07-09-2013, 03:49 AM
RE: FIATM SpedeMix - by juanjose1967 - 07-09-2013, 10:03 AM
RE: FIATM SpedeMix - by bmullen - 07-09-2013, 02:52 PM
RE: FIATM SpedeMix - by loard15 - 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM
RE: FIATM SpedeMix - by The_Metallurgist - 09-01-2014, 05:43 PM