Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hip-Hop producer here, but I couldn't pass by this one
(08-07-2018, 01:49 PM)Frequency Painter Wrote: Hi Adamas59,

I listened to your mix too. First off, a big disclaimer. It feels weird to comment while realising that my mix isn't even good enough, but on the other hand, I hear some things that might be useful. Just to be quick and concise, here are some thoughts point by point:

1. the esses sound weird, too much de-essing?
2. the overall sound is rather dark compared to the general soundscape of this genre, but like everything, subject to discussion of course.
references: Nickleback - Feed the Machine
Evanescence - Made of Stone
Metallica - Now That We're Dead
3. the guitars lack directness and maybe the drums are too loud. I like your guitar sounds better than mine though.
4. I think the solo guitar isn't loud enough
5. I hear a lack of cohesiveness

Humbly yours,
FP

Just a note to these things in my opinion:

I feel based on producer taste, the mastering process would easily address all of these prefs, for instance, a Weiss De-esser would eliminate all the top end esses easily. In terms of the track dynamics, running it through a SSL Stereo Buss @ 2-ratio would apply a tight glue.. A Q eq could reach in to any of the parts in this mix to raise or reduce objects as desired.. as a mix, I think its fitting for a mastering session to finalize it.

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hip-Hop producer here, but I couldn't pass by this one - by Digitaldruglord - 08-07-2018, 07:14 PM