Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My own - AZ Mix
Deliza:

You're right about the bass. A little long attack compression and a slight reduction at 80Hz got that in shape.
Side effect of not being able to listen at the proper volume. I also agree that a little more automation on the vocals and perhaps some EQ tweaks between them and the synth would have helped with inteligibility.

Don:

The reason for the sub kick in the chorus was to add a bit of emphasis. The mud was probably coming from that.

As far as vocal treatment, it was pretty straight forward. Pitch correction, two relatively clean compressors, De-esser, and EQ. I was a bit aggressive with the compressors though and, looking at the first verse, ended up taking about 6dB off with a long attack and another 6dB of peak compression. Different compressors on the other voice but similar treatment. (That's one thing I like about the Fairchild emulators. On setting 1, on most vocals you can dig pretty deep and still not actually hear it grab or let go.) On the EQ, I high passed both of them at about 200 and did a fair cut at 250 and 500. On the first vocalist, I found that I needed to dip him at about 2.5k but then add some presence. Sounds like I may need to take that down a tad more and maybe back off the volume overall. Like I said, it was difficult for me to get those nice and even.

The chorus was a bit different. Same general treatment on the individual tracks but when I bussed them together, after a little gentle compression of 1-3dB just to keep things together, I added another deesser on the bus since when you bus multiple vocals together, that energy tends to build up again, the followed that with the waves doubler-2 to try to make them a bit thicker. Finally, I put the Ozone imager on it since it lets you control not only how wide but how much of the signal gets that treatment. I did pan them slightly (like -20% to +20%) but that didn't sound quite right.
(I also did the imager trick on the main vocal as well.

For FX, just reverb and then adding about a 270ms delay on the chorus. Obviously the extra vocal at the end got a bit different treatment and a longer delay (about double).

Oh, a brief note to you while I'm here. On your bass part here, you put together a quick little progression and then looped it. A reminder to make sure you fade your clip before setting up the loop. The abrupt transition created audible pops that needed to be edited out.

And yes, I enjoyed the song and the challenge. Thanks for providing it! Tongue
Old West Audio

Messages In This Thread
My own - AZ Mix - by azwayne - 18-06-2018, 04:20 PM
RE: My own - AZ Mix - by Deliza - 11-07-2018, 03:32 PM
RE: My own - AZ Mix - by Don Perignon - 19-07-2018, 02:04 AM
RE: My own - AZ Mix - by azwayne - 19-07-2018, 07:41 AM