Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Viviendo Del Revez (not a walk in the park) CEF
(30-06-2018, 06:12 PM)Shul Wrote: @monk
So you think my mix has too much reverb? Or do you mean the status had too much reverb to begin with?

The multitracks are wet. The synths are a big problem in my estimation, because of their accumulative effect coupled with the fact they are in stereo.

You have quite a big verb on the vocals (as well as delays!). The proximity and sibilance comes through and gets exaggerated. It also tends to push the vocal back and lose some definition (especially if you intend keeping the lower part of the register for warmth - I sacrificed it for my vision). Perhaps this was part of the problem you had when dialling in more synths, their pre-applied ambiance got in the way of the ambiance you had applied to the vocals? I can imagine the train smash.

If you want more synth, I'd be thinking about stereo vs mono, and which elements are going to work together in the stereo domain. So, downmixing a wet synth to mono and panning hard to the left say, it's ambiance/depth perception will move with it unless some ambiance is lost during the downmix. Then, what to do about the other channel?

Wet tracks means we have no control over the eq of the reverb or the instrument's depth placement. It also mucks up the clarity of the instrument by muddying it. If we use compression anywhere in the chain, it will make matters worse by exaggerating the verbs even more. When two wet tracks are bussed together, the ambiance and spectral muck is accumulated.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Viviendo Del Revez (not a walk in the park) CEF - by Monk - 01-07-2018, 07:39 AM