Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Flames mix by NotJack
(07-05-2018, 03:48 AM)NotJack Wrote: I was trying to get grittier tones with this mix, I was kinda thinking a Tool kind of style, even though I don't have any of their music to directly reference. Kinda struggled to get a bass tone I liked, but I hope you guys enjoy it. Any constructive criticism is welcome. I'm always trying to get better.

Overall
I think you're really good at balancing the levels

Bass/Low-End

I could see the bass guitar being a bit low or its being masked by the low end on your guitar tones. (Solving: I put a high-pass filter at a moderate Q (roughly 0.9 to 1.1) on the guitar tracks, this allows the bass to be able to blend with the guitars making them sound 1 wall of sound)

Drums
I like how you got the snare and the kick to snap in the mix; its what I'm struggling to do with this mix/master. You're toms are solid, perfect snap to the high end on them; but they seem to resonate a bit long. (Solving: Sharp Q bell EQ's (Notches) can help reduce the fundamental note of the toms; when reduced by about 2dB - 4dB it allows them to resonate then get masked into the mix (or a gate if you have them gated) and won't resonate for so long.)

Vocals
I like your EQ on his voice, makes him not get lost in the mix; the song overall has a lot of low end; and I can hear that you reduced the lows on his voice with out taking to much out; You did a really good job carrying his original voice without to many effects (bells and whistles).
However; I feel like he might be sitting into the mix a bit much; if you were either put a High Shelf around 8.5k or 10k with about 2dB - 6dB it'd make him cut through the mix a little bit better without having to raise the vocal tracks directly.

Messages In This Thread
Flames mix by NotJack - by NotJack - 07-05-2018, 03:48 AM
RE: Flames mix by NotJack - by LukasL - 13-05-2018, 02:32 PM
RE: Flames mix by NotJack - by NotJack - 30-05-2018, 02:02 AM
RE: Flames mix by NotJack - by eric256 - 05-10-2018, 03:27 AM