Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Gin Is Gone (A Bit Analog)
Hi, I'm the guy who did the "old school" mix Smile. I like how you EQed the wind instruments and the overall levelling. The stereo field sounds a bit strange to my ear, larger than life drums basically enveloping the other instruments. I don't know, I guess it's also a taste thing. I'm missing focus on the individual drum instruments though. Also, to me, the sound field placement is kind of "flat" e.g. the hihat lives in the same place as the ride cymbal, all drum instruments kind of do. I must admit, with the given recordings, it's difficult to achieve but if you listen to my mix, you can hear that I - almost - managed to get a left/right and high/low sound field for the drums (the bass drums sits too high)

The piano sounds a bit distant to me (EQ and level thing). What I struggled with was the way it was recorded. I found that the separate low and high keys stereo tracks have some strange phase issues, unless you pan them hard left and right (but still then in mono...)

The bass and bass drum are hindering each other a bit, both sound a bit "wooly" and it seems there is some frequency masking, missing some low end definition/tightness.

Who am I to say this is good and that is bad. However, with this kind of Jazz music I feel/think the old school stereo field approach is the most logical one. If anything, I found your mix one of the best in this thread!

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Gin Is Gone (A Bit Analog) - by Frequency Painter - 28-03-2018, 05:45 PM