Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Gin Is Gone (A Bit Analog)
Exceptionally nice recordings that were a pleasure to work with. The arrangement and playing was great.

Listening to a number of other mixes there were a wide variety of wonderful takes on it. One gave a big band feel, almost orchestral. Others worked with the stereo field in interesting ways - including old school approaches of piano all to one side and horns to the other to mirror a typical stage setup and the mixing approaches of yesteryear.

The approach here aimed toward a medium sized club setting, though my preference would have been to go even smaller. The limitation, I felt, was the stereo field and room tone in the overheads, though I suppose that could have been pulled to a more centered sound stage. The hat and toms were panned to subjectively match the overheads field, as recorded. The piano was placed to the right. The horns were spread in front, trombone (left), trumpet (center), sax (right). I moved the trombone and sax a bit more centered for their solos. The non-musical clicks in spots on the mic'ed bass track were reduced with automated eq. Otherwise, there is, generally, a bit of compression here and eq there.

Comments, criticisms very much appreciated.

.mp3    MaurizioPagnuttiSextet_AllTheGinIsGone_Full AF - Master Buss.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

A Bit Analog

Messages In This Thread
All The Gin Is Gone (A Bit Analog) - by A Bit Analog - 22-03-2018, 03:29 AM