Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Review
Hi Mike,

a lot can be done with headphones. I'm a night-owl with a roommate that wakes at 5AM, usually as I'm heading to bed.

After you think you've got a satisfying stereo mix, try slipping one side and then the other off the ear - listen to just the one side, and then check the opposite side. Using this method, when tracks are down the center, like the kick drum, snare and bass guitar, you can still get an image of what's too loud or too soft. Jot down some notes, just impressions of what might be better and at what section or time stamp. Remember to give your ears lots of breaks! With a 3 minute song like this, you can replay 5 times in only 15 minutes. Then go grab a cuppa coffee, or a soda, or watch a little TV for the next 15 minutes. Another thought - check the mix in mono using the same "one ear at a time" method. Is there phase cancellation, wiping an instrument down to barely audible? All errors in any judgement stand out like a sore thumb in mono.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.

Messages In This Thread
Need Review - by MikeAguirre - 12-02-2018, 06:29 PM
RE: Need Review - by OctopusOnFire - 12-02-2018, 06:45 PM
RE: Need Review - by MikeAguirre - 27-02-2018, 03:20 AM
RE: Need Review - by davemcg61 - 27-02-2018, 03:50 AM