Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions: 'Devil's Words' [OctoOnFire]
Okay, so I made some adjustments yesterday.

- Worked on the kick and snare poking out too much to the point of being tiring. Also the overheads have been pushed back and cleaned up the ear piercing and used some L/R EQ to tame specific elements such as the hihat. At first sight it may seem less energetic and more contained, but I think it really helps in the long run keeping the mix cohesive. I also played around with some nonlin reverbs for the kick and snare, to give them space while keeping the tail on check. It is VERY easy to be fooled after several hours of mixing into bringing up the kick and snare too much because your ears have become used to the punch and it doesn't seem punchy anymore.

- Bass: I made it work better with the kick, did some minor adjustments in the low end, readjusted the volume.

- Guitars: A small bump around 5k on the rhythm guitars now that they have more space to pop out on the sides. Minor eq adjustments on the other guitars.

- Voice and BGV: Both are clearer and brighter, and the sibilants are more controlled. For the quiet part near the end, I split the voice track into a new one, less dirty, compressed and distorted. It has a different reverb as well. The whole voice track has a smidge more verb because the former one seemed to have the voice too separated from the music.

- Some readjustments were needed on the main bus after these changes. I had more room for the compressor to work, so I twisted it a little more. I went a little easier with the distortion, especially the lower end.

Summing up, I think I polished it where it was rough around the edges, and after a second listen, I think I didn't go too far with the brightness. Comparing both mixes, I think the second one lets the different sounds bloom more naturally while the first was kinda sucking them out of life, despite the apparent energy given by the drums.
But it is my mix, so I'm biased and kinda used to it. So maybe I went too far here and there? Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

.mp3    Actions_DevilsWords_OctoOnFire.Rev1-001.mp3 --  (Download: 7.57 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Messages In This Thread