Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions: 'Devil's Words' [OctoOnFire]
Hi guys,

First submission here two years after creating the account. Been doing this and that, learning stuff, and participating in some sites, but I kinda had forgotten about this great supply of very cool songs to mix and practice.

To the point Big Grin

I'll be mixing some songs from here, trying to be quicker, going for a sound, trying bolder things that I wouldn't otherwise, etc. I really liked this song to start with. It's catchy, very energetic, and looks fun to mix. I went for a "radio sound" (whatever it means), trying to stay dynamic and punchy but twisting the knobs a little harder. Anyway, any feedback is appreciated, especially about getting in the ballpark of where I want the mix to go.

Quick recap:

- Drums: Triggers on everything, replaced kick and snare. FG-401, a vca compressor on the buss and the rest mostly eq hi and low, some enhancement (Revival). And T-racks clipper on top.

There's a 'drum room' with the overheads through a room verb and a distressor+fg-bomber (Transient manipulation, mostly for bringing out the tail)

- Bass: It went trough several stages of saturation and a distressor. It's sidechained to the kick.

- Guitars: Mostly just EQ and a little saturation. However, I duplicated the rhythm heavy guitars and ran the copies through fuzz distortion (SDRR2 gives you a lot of options), then an EQ filtering everything but the 2k-20k (ish) region. Then added it to the original guitars, carefully. It opens them up nicely.

- Vocals: EQ, compression and some distortion. I made a copy of the track (FX too), it goes through a chorus/widener (Microshift).
The double lead goes through a pitch shifter an octave down with distortion about 15% wet. It just thickens the voice in the choruses nicely.

The usual reverb and echo on the voice and the rest of the stuff. Lately I'm trying to use different reverbs for different elements in the mix.

- 2bus: Lots of stuff doing small additions. C6 multiband controlling the mids and lows, Tape saturation, console saturation, the FG-Red bus comp, M/S saturation, some EQ and a limiter.
It's "mastered" loud, just to simulate what I want to go for. The limiter is taking about 2-3 db of GR.

That's it, I tried to be brief, but I hope the info is any useful Undecided

Cheers

[UPDATE: New revision added after the feedback. More info on Post #6]

.mp3    Actions_DevilsWords_OctoOnFire.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

.mp3    Actions_DevilsWords_OctoOnFire.Rev1-001.mp3 --  (Download: 7.57 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Messages In This Thread
Actions: 'Devil's Words' [OctoOnFire] - by OctopusOnFire - 02-02-2018, 07:00 PM