Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Monk Remembers Jones
(12-12-2017, 05:26 PM)kjedrusiak Wrote: To me the drums are too wide in the stereo field and I can't hear the kick. There is a lot of snare bottom and not enough snare top.

Mix up the stereo placement on everything else so it has a place. I looked at the video and used that as a bit of a guide.

Otherwise, keep going!

The OH and Tom busses were panned 50 percent L/R, though the Toms are actually more complicated than that because of the way I've processed them. Their fundamentals are significantly narrower, at 25 percent. So, what is too wide? If you think they are too wide for this song, it might be helpful suggesting an alternative, and your reasoning.

Headphone listeners will have a different perspective about width. A general statement "too wide", doesn't help me make a judgement call.

Sorry Kyle, the kick wasn't mixed for translation over small speakers. Blush

The snare was mixed with a tighter skin and a different microphone (no sample). I didn't like the resonance on the original and didn't suit my vision.

I had a vision about instrument placement, and implemented it in the stereo domain. Trust me, everything has it's place right down to the guy on the phone Wink

Thanks for stopping by.

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.

Messages In This Thread
Monk Remembers Jones - by Monk - 30-11-2017, 03:36 PM
RE: Monk Remembers Jones - by Monk - 12-12-2017, 03:25 PM
RE: Monk Remembers Jones - by kjedrusiak - 12-12-2017, 05:26 PM
RE: Monk Remembers Jones - by Monk - 14-12-2017, 02:55 PM