Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Earth Frequencies Mix
Nice mix, whoop-dee-doo. I did something very similar.

As to Dave's comments, I agree to a certain extent. The natural dynamics of this composition are somewhat convoluted and difficult to navigate at times. There is a lot of impact from the odd assortment of instruments in the arrangement. Surprisingly hard hitting. It is also easy to over-emphasize that aspect of the playing with compression. One of the dominant characteristics is the unique openness of the drums and what you could create out of those lonely two tracks. We also cannot forget that there is a lot of existing compression and dynamics printed to the tracks, which is limiting, but directive. The character of the spill into the lead vocal mic is critical. If that doesn't sound good then you've lost the leader and the phrasing. It is very easy for the rhythm section to overpower the vocals and very tempting as well because it sounds so cool.

I do disagree with Dave in that I do not feel you have let the rhythm overpower the vocals. Maybe the kick drum, but it sounds so good it is hard to fault its placement. I will figure you would add some automation to sections in future passes, since you only spent a short time generating this excellent pass.

Very enjoyable listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Earth Frequencies Mix - by Earth Frequencies - 13-10-2017, 10:13 AM
RE: Earth Frequencies Mix - by Imagine Mix Studio - 17-10-2017, 04:47 AM
RE: Earth Frequencies Mix - by Earth Frequencies - 17-10-2017, 09:50 AM
RE: Earth Frequencies Mix - by Dangerous - 17-10-2017, 12:10 PM
RE: Earth Frequencies Mix - by Earth Frequencies - 18-10-2017, 08:17 AM
RE: Earth Frequencies Mix - by Mixinthecloud - 28-11-2017, 03:23 AM