Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And the mix competition winner is...
(14-08-2017, 04:59 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: OK. First, before I say anything here, I want to offer my sincere congratulations to Friggy and ArmedNDaverous on their win. What I'm about to say here takes away nothing from their work for one simple fact: they obviously captured what Perpetual Escape was going for better than the rest of us. Being able to interpret what an artist is going for and bringing that to life is a vital skill in any discipline where technical skill is needed to support an art form, as is the case with the relationship between audio engineering and music. So well done in that respect.

Having said that, I must admit to a certain degree of puzzlement as to these being the winners.

Friggy's mix is, in my opinion, just not dynamic enough for this song......

All mixes were level matched before we listened to them. Some mixes were louder than Friggy's one but did not win Wink
It's an overall thing, not only based on who's the most dynamic. If we were the clients of Friggy, we probably would have asked him to deliver a mix at -14 LUFS since it's the current standards. But we'd rather have a loud and balanced mix with a vision we like than a dynamic but very unbalanced.

One last point: loudness is handled by the mastering engineer. The mix engineer would have delivered a mix, with tons of headroom and dynamic range. We always ask a mastering engineer for mastering process. So at the end, if the mix engineer can make a loud mix version to make us hear what the will sound after the limiter, he/she will deliver a total dynamic unmastered version Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: And the mix competition winner is... - by Mandubien - 14-08-2017, 08:37 AM