Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thrashy thrash
Hi Tuyop!
Overall the new revision seems to be in decent shape, the main thing I notice is that the guitars have a fizzy top end to them and the solo guitar is too dry sounding. Make sure to use a low pass filter on the guitars (I generally set it around 8-10 kHz depending on how harsh the guitars sound) or use a less harsh sounding impulse (the Catharsis Fredman impulses are really great for this and don't require alot of tweaking), using some reverb or short stereo delay (<100 ms) on the solo will help it sit in the mix better as well.

The bass tone is pretty much there, on the sections where the bass pokes out try automating the level down so it sits under the guitars, this will give you a more consistent sound. A LF exciter like Waves RBass (FL Studio may have a similar plugin) will also help to add some weight to the bass.

Funny enough you have the opposite """"problem""" that I have in my mix, the kick is louder than the snare in the mix. The snare now has too much sizzle to it and not enough crack, also the guitars seem to be overpowering the drums which may also be part of the problem. I found that boosting 10 kHz and cutting 500 Hz on the snare gave it some power in the mix and adding a touch of soft clipping to prevent overloading the master helped a good bit. The drums I found really didn't need compression, soft clipping really did the job pretty well and just a bit of eq to help them sit.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
Thrashy thrash - by Tuyop - 03-08-2017, 02:54 AM
RE: Thrashy thrash - by Tuyop - 08-08-2017, 03:45 PM
RE: Thrashy thrash - by LukasL - 08-08-2017, 08:55 PM
RE: Thrashy thrash - by Tuyop - 09-08-2017, 07:02 PM
RE: Thrashy thrash - by miltonex - 09-08-2017, 03:41 PM
RE: Thrashy thrash - by dcp10200 - 16-08-2017, 11:32 PM