Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facade - a new mix
Hi,

I really enjoyed this song - enough to want to remix it. I thought there was a good song hidden in there, but we all know the various issues plaguing the original recording - a weak kick and snare with lots of spill-over in all the drum tracks, and only one guitar recording put through multiple mics and cabinets, and one lead vocal, which makes getting the sort of width, depth and punch modern rock listeners expect a challenge.

Like many others, I've used drum triggers for sample replacement. I did feel that some other mixes here went a bit overboard with extremely punchy or artificial kicks or snares that would be more suited to EDM, hip hop or perhaps industrial music. I wanted them to still have somewhat of a live rock feel. I do use a mix of samples, for example snares hit both soft and hard, and set up my drum machine to blend them according to the velocity from the triggers.

The guitars, well it was tempting to crank up "old black" and overdub some punchy power chords for the chorus, but in the end I decided to take on the challenge of only using the recordings supplied. I'm fairly happy with the overall punch of the guitars when the chorus comes in. It's not Rammstein but then that mostly comes down to what was played originally. Getting the kick and bass guitar to mesh contributes a significant amount of punch.

For the chorus vocals, I used both chorus takes, cut and layered. One has a stereo widener and a touch of reverb to give width and a "backing vocal" effect, while the main vocal has been over-driven to give it some grit and distortion, which I personally feel fits the song really well.

Other than that, a lot of automation on faders and effects...

Thanks for listening and hope you like it!

.mp3    Facade - CJ Fuller Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.38 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Facade - a new mix - by CJ Fuller - 14-07-2017, 08:22 AM
RE: Facade - a new mix - by CJ Fuller - 16-07-2017, 01:44 PM
RE: Facade - a new mix - by Rob Sidhe - 13-09-2017, 10:59 PM
RE: Facade - a new mix - by CJ Fuller - 21-09-2017, 09:21 AM
RE: Facade - a new mix - by jbruce - 27-03-2018, 02:21 AM
RE: Facade - a new mix - by CJ Fuller - 02-04-2018, 05:53 AM