Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
This mix is on "Flames" - just like my speakers!
----------------------------------- Update - 5.4.2017:

After chatting with Doug (thx mate!) I made some very minor adjustments which gave the mix a lot more clarity and punch:

- Compressed the low end of the whole mix with a multiband comp (raising the volume by one DB and then compressing it by 1-2 dB)
- compressed the "puffy" region from 200 - 600 by about 2db max, with a medium attack and release
- killed 4k Smile
- Reduced the high shelf boost on each tom by about 2db
- Snare has now a very light compressor with a very fast attack and release to kill some of the poky transients
- kick is down by 1db
- I´m hitting the limiter a bit harder (now sitting at ten dB RMS instead 0f 12-13 dB RMS)

You can listen to my final mix called The Black Crown - Flames_final down below. If you want to compare, there is also my first mix.

Many Thx and as always: Leave me a comment, and I will give my best to comment some of your mixes on this forum.

Many thx and keep on rockin!
Dirk

----------------------------------- Initial Post - 4.4.2017:
Hey boys, hey girls,

I just finished my mix of Flames from The Black Crown. I´ve been working on this song for the last three days with 3-4 hours each day (first day mix prep, second day basic balancing, third day fixing things I didn't like & writing automation).

I tried to work with the original drum tracks but decided to completely replace the drumkit (shells only) with my own samples. I think the result is more than worth it because the drums sound way more powerful now than compared with the samples from the Progressive Kit from Toontrack.

I also went with the DI guitar tracks because it was easier to fix the tuning problems with Melodyne that way (albeit I couldn't get rid of the wrong notes completely). The amp sim is Toneforge Ben Bruce - that thing just always sounds good.

I've mixed this song on my Focal Spirit Pro Headphones with Sonarworks Reference and also used my new Subpac to get the low end right. I also checked the mix on my Adams.

So, hope you like it! As always: Leave me a comment and I will give my best to comment some of your mixes on this forum.

Many thx and keep on rockin!
Dirk

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames.mp3 --  (Download: 12.75 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames_final.mp3 --  (Download: 12.74 MB)

Messages In This Thread
This mix is on "Flames" - just like my speakers! - by Blitzzz - 05-04-2017, 12:10 AM