Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YOU CROSSED THE LINE, ONE TOO MANY TIMES (BKM's mix)
Okay, so after taking another good listen this morning, I noticed two things:
1) the vox at some points got drowned out
2) I might have been overzealous with those 100 Hz cuts after yesterdays long mastering session.

I brough some of that meaty 100 back in and went back into the mix to turn the vocals up in general but also automate them a bit more to bring out some of the details. At the same time, I took out just a smidge of 2k because I thought it was a bit paper-y sounding.

I also messed around a bit more with the loudness part of my mastering chain. The limiter was pumping a bit, so I engaged another very transparent compressor at a 1:1.2 ratio before it to 1) shapen the transients a bit and 2) to bring out the low level details a bit more. This added a good amount of glue and fatness and also brought up the final volume by another 0.5 dB. (I don't consider myself part of the loudness war but I do find it really interesting to see how one would arrive at such a result. I actually think the track sounds less ... stuffed now despite being louder.)

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Ill Fate.mp3 --  (Download: 5.9 MB)

Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic

Messages In This Thread
RE: YOU CROSSED THE LINE, ONE TOO MANY TIMES (BKM's mix) - by BKM - 14-03-2017, 11:11 PM