Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ronnie Jones_WhyDon'tYouStay_mix Tommy Marcinek
Sounds cool. I like the simplified intro. After all the versions I did I was starting to feel like the intro didn't really help the song too much.

My biggest issue with the mix is it feels like everything exists in a narrow frequency range. The balances all work and it isn't fatiguing but everything is in that midrange area. Even the bass upper end of the bass and kick beater gets in on the action. In the end everything fights to be heard and it gets cluttered. The parts sound good. I like the beater on the kick. It feels really natural but it moves the emphasis of the kick into the same part of the canvas as everything else. Same with the bass. I like the definition and "finger"ness of it (lord know I over emphasized it on my mixes) but again it tries to get in on everyone's action.
Most importantly that area everyone is in is the same area as the vocals.

Like I like the tone of the drums. They sound natural without being boring.

As a side note, I agree with Dave about the simplified drum tracks. It's nice to not have to wade through 15 drum tracks and just accept them for what they are. It doesn't hurt that they sound pretty good. I'm betting it was a Glyn Johns setup.

Overall it sounds good. I think you can make some more room around the instruments but as it is the mix works.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ronnie Jones_WhyDon'tYouStay_mix Tommy Marcinek - by Roy - 25-02-2017, 03:01 PM