Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug
(03-12-2016, 02:52 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: But the kick is mono already so mono compatibility is moot. Sure you could argue how it might effect the OHs or Room signals but I wouldn't worry about that. I usually filter out the low end out of the OHs anyway. All it's really going to matter to is the sound of the kick and how all three mic signals react. If it sounds good if one of the mic's polarity is reversed then that's fine. It's only really an issue with stereo information. Yeah 95% of the time having a Kick in and Kick Out mic in phase sounds better and reinforces the low end but if you flip the phase of one and it sounds good then great. Of course, now check it with the rest of the drum mics and see which mic sounds better flipped. But the kick is mono already so mono compatibility is moot. Sure you could argue how it might effect the OHs or Room signals but I wouldn't worry about that. I usually filter out the low end out of the OHs anyway. All it's really going to matter to is the sound of the kick and how all three mic signals react. If it sounds good if one of the mic's polarity is reversed then that's fine. It's only really an issue with stereo information. Yeah 95% of the time having a Kick in and Kick Out mic in phase sounds better and reinforces the low end but if you flip the phase of one and it sounds good then great. Of course, now check it with the rest of the drum mics and see which mic sounds better flipped.

In the case of this song, if the out of phase kick mic cuts some lows and thins it out a little that might not be a bad thing. It's really just eq.

That's what I'm talking about, the kick is affecting the overheads , filtering the overheads solves the problem with the kick but kills the snare. The method that makes the most sense to me is to have phase cohesion between the kick and overheads and work from there. When listening in mono, the kick sounded worse when out of phase with the overheads, and in stereo it lacked the energy needed for this track. A more Bonham style kick sound seemed to be what this track needed, somewhere between punchy and open.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by dcp10200 - 03-12-2016, 01:34 AM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Cudjoe - 03-12-2016, 04:58 AM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Olli H - 03-12-2016, 10:41 AM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Roy - 03-12-2016, 02:52 PM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Roy - 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by dcp10200 - 04-12-2016, 04:20 PM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Roy - 04-12-2016, 04:40 PM