Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd Rather Be Drinkin' (jtbStudio)
(17-11-2016, 09:43 PM)takka360 Wrote: Phase problems .
Thanks, that's just what I needed to know. People have pointed out phase problems in my mixes before, but I couldn't hear what they were referring to. This time, I could hear the problem but didn't realize what it was Rolleyes although I was on the right track when I thought it was something to do with the delay/reverb.

It turned out to be a delay that had the wet signal too high (-8dB) - I took it out completely, which makes the vocal a bit dry, but I think it still works. Having the vocal clearer made the solos sound a bit dull, so I also had to push them up in the mix a touch - funny how that works Undecided It's never easy - sigh...

My newly-attuned ears Smile also heard a similar problem with the solos. I had widened the stereo by adding a 5/9ms delay to the left/right channels (for some reason, I always use odd values), but bumping these up to 6/10 seemed to lessen the problem somewhat. I also cranked the overall delay on these tracks down a bit. I suspect these multiple delays I keep piling on are interfering with each other and causing the phase problems people keep pointing out to me Rolleyes

I tried scooping a little more out of the bottom end, as per Dangerous' suggestion, but even 0.25dB made things sound wimpy. This is surely because I'm listening on earbuds, since I have to run things a little hot on the bottom end to make it sound OK there, but for this genre, I'd rather err on the side of too much bass rather than too little.

I'm pretty happy with how this one sounds now. Thanks to everyone who commented.

(17-11-2016, 09:43 PM)takka360 Wrote: Funny enough I done a mix on ear buds the other week and it translated really well

Yah, the problem is it's a crap-shoot. Because you can't hear properly down there, you don't know what's going on, so sometimes you might get lucky and it all works out, but sometimes it doesn't. I just reference a lot and hope for the best. Can't wait to be reunited with my studio... Sad

.mp3    I\'d Rather Be Drinkin\' (jtbStudio) (v2).mp3 --  (Download: 6.19 MB)

Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com

Messages In This Thread
I'd Rather Be Drinkin' (jtbStudio) - by jtbStudio - 16-11-2016, 09:33 AM
RE: I'd Rather be Drinkin' (jtbStudio) - by Roy - 16-11-2016, 02:41 PM
RE: I'd Rather Be Drinkin' (jtbStudio) - by Roy - 17-11-2016, 02:37 PM
RE: I'd Rather Be Drinkin' (jtbStudio) - by jtbStudio - 21-11-2016, 03:49 AM